2/19/11

So. Cal Sentry, 6x6

"So. Cal Sentry, 6x6" Pastel on sanded paper ©Brenda Boylan

Have you ever tried Googling '6x6" paintings'? Well I did, and I found this popular size/format has 1,370,000 posts! Could it possibly be because the economy has artists painting the smaller size for a smaller price? Or is it because it's small enough that it only takes a few hours to complete? Maybe because the square format is just, well, different? Regardless, there are plenty out there and now I'm adding #1,370,001....'So. Cal Sentry'. I just love the funky 60's framework that is similar to the Lem on the moon missions. Makes me wish for those days when I'd go with my girlfriends to Santa Cruz for the entire day and just sun-bake, drink wine, eat potato chips...and wish for some good looking lifeguard to resuscitate us! HA! Memories!

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

Yes...this painting makes me want to say "surf's up!" ---really pretty California colors. I think the square format is crazy popular right now. I don't for the life of me know how you get so much detail in such a small painting....but, you do it...and you do it well!

2/19/11, 11:45 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thanks Celeste.
Yeah, the format is super popular now for probably a million other reasons...I've just taken notice more recently than before and now I see them everywhere. For the smaller details I use a pastel pencil, but not much. I guess you could use a smaller brush for your oils? And also a congrats to you on your ribbon of late!

2/20/11, 11:26 AM  
Blogger Kim Vanlandingham said...

Wild that there were that many posts!! I use a 4 x 4 format sometimes and love it!

2/23/11, 5:48 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Hi Kimberly. Wow, how do you paint that tiny? I'd love to see what you make of that size. Are any posted to your blog or ebay?

2/23/11, 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home