12/1/15

Laguna Day 4 Recap

It's Tuesday and I was beginning to feel more comfortable with the light of the day, the warmth of the sun, and the pace of the event, but definitely feeling pretty fatigued by now.  I headed out with Jennifer Diehl around 10:00 to a place highly recommended by Thomas Kitts. I'm so glad I got to see the beach, as I had been painting pretty much urban by this time and it was a welcomed relief to paint something organic. Thomas showed us a place called China Cove that had this wild looking rock formation with a cave like hole in it. The passing shadows moved quickly, so it was a tricky one to paint. We set up on the stairs and just painted away to the calming sound of crashing waves.  I brought a larger 16x20" for this one and I'm glad I did because it nearly painted itself!




Going large on location, this 16x20" 

The day was coming to an end, but not yet, because there was still time to paint a sundown painting.  We headed out to Heisler Park once again to paint and watch the sunset on the southern California coast.  I brought my Sennelier Plein Air Seaside set that has the perfect colors for wet and dry sand, ocean water and sandstone cliffs.  And well, I have to do a little shameless self promotion here.... my piece "Point Lobos Jetty" is blazed upon the box front...yes, I'm a Wheaties gal!


For dinner, all of the artists were treated with a buffet dinner at one of LPAPA's best supporter's.  I won't mention who they are for privacy reasons, but it certainly is a beautiful home filled with masterworks And I mean FILLED! One should even find good reason to visit the bathroom indeed. Recognized works from artist's like Quang Ho, Richard Schmid, Romel Delatorre, were displayed salon style, and gosh, I couldn't count how many beauties were enjoyed by the collectors. They had wonderful stories to share about each piece and how they acquired them that perhaps could be book bound.

No comments: