2/24/11

Edges and Rows, 24x24"

Edges and Rows, 24 x 24" Pastel on sanded paper ©Brenda Boylan

A while back I was working on a series of work on seasonal paintings of my family farm located in the Eugene area of Oregon. I had worked on this one with the intention of keeping it for my own home so I could enjoy the memories I have from a child. I hadn't finished it until this week, trimming the sides to fit the square format frame. But I have since changed my mind and it is headed up with the other pieces of the series to The American Art Co. in Tacoma, WA.

This is the view facing south just where the trees line the edge of the property. I've never much ventured over there, but the last time I was down at the farm I wandered over there with my dad and discussed all the arrowheads he used to find in the field, the frogs he'd catch from the neighbor's pond on the other side of the trees, and managing the pickers as they harvested the green beans. His life was spent working hard on a farm as a boy as he worked his way through college, but now he is back on the farm, retired and just leases it out to a farmer who keeps things interesting. It's nice to visit. My sense of place puts me at rest when I step onto the property...all worries melt away from my city life in Portland.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger loriann signori said...

Hi Brenda, How generous of you to decide to share this one. I am sure the beauty of the place will resonate with a sensitive buyer. Beautiful light. It seems like some of your last posts go back in time.

2/24/11, 1:43 PM  
Blogger Casey Klahn said...

I admire the edges you subtly diffused on the left, here. This large work will be terrific in Tacoma, and I predict good times ahead for you. Well done!

2/24/11, 3:26 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thanks so much Loriann. I guess I am getting nostalgic...you pointed that out so well. This piece was painted a while back and I can already see that my painting technique has slightly changed, as most artists do with practice. I sent you an email back regarding the posting issues with Blogger. I am getting the posts with no problem, so if there is anyone else out there who is getting messages bounced back I am looking into it. Thanks again Loriann! Take care.

2/24/11, 5:32 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Hi Casey, thanks for your compliments. I'm hoping for great representation up there. They have already asked me to participate in a group show of 8 artists in May as well as a pastel demonstration. So looking forward to it.

2/24/11, 6:17 PM  
Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

Arrowheads! My brother and I would find zillions of them in our back yard in Illinois. It is a fond memory. I like to think the person who winds up with this painting will be reminded of good days too! It's a very beautiful scene.

2/25/11, 12:07 AM  
Blogger Nika said...

This one has a good rhythm going and a nice sense of balance. Peaceful indeed.

2/25/11, 8:12 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thanks Celeste and Nika for your kind comments.

2/25/11, 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home