2/8/12

Scholls Homestead, 9x12

"Scholls Homestead" 9x12" Oil ©Brenda Boylan

A few weeks back I took an alla prima oil painting workshop from Thomas Jefferson Kitts so I could broaden my medium choices.   Thomas is an awesome instructor with a depth of knowledge beyond any instructor I've had.   So, now I have to go out and practice, right?  Mix a little sunshine with free time and you get a great day of plein air painting!  Well...maybe.  This was my first time out painting this year as well as with oils in the field.  It was a very chilly, windy day so I took a small warming break in the car, only to return to a fallen easel!  Aack!  I continue to feel a bit clumbsy with the oils, but with anything, it will have to take some time.  Above is my first attempt in the field with oils of a small homestead in Scholls, OR off of Hwy 210.

So, yes, I'm checkin' oils out and hoping my pastels don't get too jealous of my little affair with oils.

Here is one of my studies from Thomas' class:

Floral Study with Oils, 16x12" Oil

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

very impressive! I've said it before..you're a natural with oils

2/8/12, 5:17 PM  
Blogger Cmichaudart said...

but keep the dust on those magic fingers of yours...

2/8/12, 5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i admire your tenacity and determination... these show an amazing understanding of colour whichever medium you use and i am guessing colour mixing in oils is very different from that in pastels.... i guess an artist is an artist is an artist ;)

2/9/12, 1:14 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Gosh, thanks Celeste for your confident comment!

Cindy, don't worry. My love affair with oils will not impede my devotion to pastels! :)

Rahina, I guess an artist is an artist is an artist. It's how we are built to express regardless the medium, right? Although I don't think I'll venture into stained glass or cooking. HA!

2/12/12, 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home