4/3/12

Pastel Punch! recap

 Demo of a 20 min timed painting. Emphasis on loosening up.

Last weekend I spent time teaching my Pastel Punch! workshop with six pastel enthusiasts.  Every time I do this teaching stuff, I feel greatly rewarded in a warm, fuzzy kind of way.  My intension was to help my students become better at their craft while adding a few of my favorite exercises to help them loosen up. 

Every day we covered a single topic and painted with that topic in mind to help drive home the idea.
The basics of values, composition, color, and mark-making were what I wanted to stress in my workshop. Nearing the end of the workshop I wrote some thoughts down for everyone to think about...words that I covered in all the lessons.  Kind of like a note pad of sorts.

 Thoughts on the "Good Stuff"

Every day we had a couple of demos. This demo was about mark-making.

Me and my wonderful students (L-R) Debbie, Sue, Diane, Sarah, Marilyn and Nancy....thanks for your time with me.

Being the marketing nut that I tend to be, I asked my students how they found out about my workshop. It was interesting, because they all came from a variety of sources.  A gallery show, on my blog, word of mouth, out in the field, a flyer, and an private invitation.  There seems to be no one way in getting the word out, but to just keep talking about it in every way possible.  

We painted in Kat Sowa's studio and it's what I'd call "THE" quintessential studio.  Located in an old warehouse, it is full all the amenities for teaching and working on art.  It is equipped with ample lighting, with beautiful still lifes, extra tables, heat, a sink, a small and quiet sitting room for eating or resting on the couch, a library of reference books, a few sturdy easels with plenty of space and more.  It is a studio with great energy and creativity and I do hope to teach there again.

This photo doesn't give the space any justice, but believe me it's awesome!

This coming week, I will be heading down to Las Vegas for the Plein Air Convention with a contingency of Portland painting buddies.  I"m sure there will be much to learn and tons of fun connecting with old friends in the field.  If you are headed to the convention, please look for a short blonde with a funny laugh, and do make sure to introduce yourself because I'd love to meet you.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

Good re-cap! I bet your students will pass the good word about your workshop also. Have fun at the convention..and I hope you'll do a "re-cap" of that too.

4/3/12, 11:53 PM  
Blogger Casey Klahn said...

Thanks for this generous post! Very informative, and your subjects and style are fascinating. Love the words paper.

4/4/12, 7:44 AM  
Blogger Kim Vanlandingham said...

Wow! Looks like it was a fun workshop!

4/5/12, 6:13 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Hi Celeste,
I do hope to get the opportunity to teach again at Kat's.
So getting the word out is the best kind of advertising! Perhaps one in the fall. I'll try to post remotely while in Vegas.

Hey Casey, Sarah spoke volumes about your work with color. Perhaps we teach a workshop together? The words paper just popped into my head while everyone was busy working on their assignments so I just wrote them down as a fun little inspiration board. :)

Yes, Kimberly, it WAS!

4/6/12, 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home