3/5/09

April Waterway, 6x6


"April Waterway (study)"  6x6  Pastel on sanded paper

It seems like it's been months since I last painted anything and posted.  Being an artist and having a family is like juggling 5 plates on those long sticks you'd see in the circus.  My excuses come from every aspect of my life, making me feel like Sillyputty.  Those of you who have or had children would know what I'm talking about.  I Googled the word "excuses" and I found many explanations and thoughts for this verb.  Every definition makes me feel worse, like: excuses negate responsibility, are harmful because they prevent one from succeeding, or worse yet, they become believable!   So, am I saying my family should be 2nd to my art?   Nope!  They are the reason I paint!  If it weren't for this outlet, this way of communicating without words, I'd probably go nuts!  What are your excuses or reasons for not painting?

Here is another study from the Reference Image Library on WetCanvas.  I wanted to call it "March Waterway" because I painted it in the month of March, but "April" sounds better.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jill Berry said...

Hey, cre8ive reentered the blogosphere! Welcome back but don't let it keep you from painting. That is my #1 reason at the moment, and I only try to post weekly.
This work is very nice! It has a thick application like paint. I'm a painter and not a pastelist, but sometimes they can have a dry feel. Not so here.
I don't think I ever got a chance to comment but I enjoyed a tour of your blog and website recently. I enjoy seeing the process of using compimentary undertones. "Stagged Zest" is an awesome painting. Also noticed when you changed your profile pic from your drawing.
I better go put some paint out on my palette or I will be mad at myself.

3/7/09, 11:14 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Yes, it's good to be back! Thanks, Jill, for your kind words on this painting and my work as a whole. I too, really love the complimentary underpainting technique. Although I didn't use it on this one particular piece.

3/7/09, 11:38 AM  
Blogger Brent Seevers said...

I like it!

3/9/09, 11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home