12/9/10

Season's Between, 20x16


Season's Between, 20x16" Pastel on sanded paper ©2010 Brenda Boylan

Inspired by a plein air piece I did a while back, this scene may look familiar to all my frequent bloggy visitors. The colors in the initial plein air painting were so inviting and I thought the composition was challenging yet dynamic. This is possibly due to the strong diagonal movement (triangle composition). The tele-wires, water, road, and horizon all lead to the right, but the abrupt and solid vertical tree helps to stop this movement and redirects the eyes up to the sky and around again. I took my time creating this one, often reworking the wires/cloud interaction. Accuracy is something I have strived to avoid, leaving the eye to finish the piece, yet I had to fuss a bit on this one.

This week's Artwalk for Annie and the Randy Higbee 6" Squared had me busy online and off. Both events were very successful. If you have not met Randy Higbee online, you are in for a treat. All I can say is he is very innovative and generous framing/gallery business owner. 'Nuff said!

5 Comments:

Blogger Cmichaudart said...

Very, very nice. Enjoyed your description of the composition.

12/9/10, 5:02 PM  
Anonymous Vanessa said...

Beautiful work Brenda.! The blues in this piece are gorgeous. I realy luv your handling of pastels. I know what you mean about being sure not to overwork or overdetail works and leaving the viewer's eye to finishe the piece. It's something I am still learning to do as well.

12/11/10, 9:26 PM  
Blogger Kim Vanlandingham said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who paints the same things several times. Love your work! Always nice to stop by and see what you've been working on.

12/12/10, 6:32 PM  
Blogger Christabel said...

I love your landscapes and your pastel technique

12/13/10, 6:54 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Hi Cindy, glad you reading my blog. Composition is such a huge part of the success of a piece of art. I really try hard to make a piece that has some "bones" to it...not always easy!

Vanessa, Thanks! If only somebody would please invent an alarm that goes off when we've reached the finishing point on a work of art!

Kimberly, I guess I should go out and get more reference photos to work from while the colder months keep me indoors. I think with painting a subject a few times over, the learning and relearning of the subject just sinks in deeper.

...and Christabel, thanks so much for your comments.

12/13/10, 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home