7/3/11

Bolts of Lavender, 16x12

"Bolts of Lavender" 16x12" Pastel on sanded paper
©2011 Brenda Boylan

This has been one of those weeks where the days wiz by way too fast. Then BOOM, it's gone! I spent a lot of time preparing my daughter for a trip to a law forum in D.C. for a week. She's growing up too fast but letting her stretch her wings is wonderful to see. I didn't have much time to finish up the oil that I started last week, but I did get out twice to plein air paint. This one above was painted at the same lavender farm as in the last post and pretty much the same scene. So beautiful to be there looking at such beauty that it was intoxicating. The fragrance of lavender, the sound of the bumble bees, and the hot sun on my skin. Ooooh summer is here...finally, in Oregon! Our warmer season in the Northwest started late giving the lavender a delayed bloom, although some of the varieties were in full color.

Then last Friday was the Caswell Gallery First Friday Art Walk where 5 of us gallery artists (Michael Orwick, James McGrew, Christy Perrine, Bev Joswiak, and myself) painted our hearts out over the course of the evening. Here I am having a most interesting conversation with my easel, painting from a photo of the same scene as this painting above.

'The stance'...or is it a dance?

Next weekend is the Lavender Paint out show in Beulah Park, Yamhill. Stop by to see some beautiful art and of course to smell the lavender! Info in the sidebar to the right --->

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Donna T, I got your comment on this post while checking my itouch and accidentally touched delete, so your nice comment is lost in cyberspace. Please forgive me for my slipping fingers...I guess I need more dust on them or a bigger itouch. Ooops!

7/4/11, 7:14 PM  
Blogger Cmichaudart said...

love the dance/stance....and once again i can smell the lavender!

7/5/11, 5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a wonderful piece in so many ways: the composition delights me and the colours capture so much of the atmosphere! your instinctive approach to colour reminds me of those lucky enough to have a musical ear... they may not know the name of any of the notes but do they make music...

7/6/11, 2:43 AM  
Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

Those lavender fields are a challenge to make interesting...THIS is one of the best paintings of lavender I have ever seen! Bravo! (like the stance/dance too)

7/6/11, 10:14 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

HI Cindy, yes, doing that popular dance called the two step with my easel. Lavender smells even better when you rub some in your fingers...ooooh!

Rahina, I love your description, it's almost poetic and makes much sense to me. Thanks.

Hi Celeste, Yes I agree that it can be a challenge to make lavender interesting. I'm glad you like this one as I am very happy with it too. Smiles!

7/7/11, 2:41 PM  
Blogger Kim Vanlandingham said...

I love lavender and you certainly brought out the best in it. Beautiful!

7/11/11, 10:15 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thanks Kimberly! :)

7/18/11, 10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home