3/7/13

Artist Self Doubt and Expectations

It's funny, the other day my artist friend cheered me on as a "famous artist" because I have been listed on the roster of artists at the Plein Air Convention. I don't know if this is what deems one famous, but I'll take it as a wonderful compliment with both arms wide open. Could this mean this is my "15 minutes of fame?"  I certainly don't feel any deserved than any other artist. Perhaps I am feeling a sprinkling of self doubt, or perhaps my work should receive every recognition possible with every pastel stroke or dab of oil on my canvas to justify myself being "famous". Does being an artist mean we are born to endure these feelings of self doubt or higher expectations? I think to some degree yes, but I also believe that this is what moves us to work harder and be better artists. I am happy to report that I live amongst very talented artists in my own community who I feel are pretty famous in their own right, and hopefully "In the future everyone will be famous for 15 minutes" ~Andy Warhol.  There is so much yet to be painted, to discover, to endure to be famous. Yet I'll take the compliment any way I can. Thanks to those who have believed in me, hopefully it will pay off in the end. I just saw this quote on success and want to share it with you. 

Success

To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Plein Air Convention is coming up this April! Last year was so memorable and inspiring to be among so many fun loving, happy artists who were all part of one big family. I want to feel that way again if only for a few days. Come join me in this awesome event, you will not forget it.

Last year, during the Plein Air Convention all 700 artists went out to paint at 
Red Rocks, Nevada...in the gusty wind and rain. Call me nuts but I was so happy to be there
with so many artists. This year we go to Monterey, CA!

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

I am certain you'll do an outstanding job at the convention...! Congratulations!

3/7/13, 9:14 PM  
Blogger Randall said...

Sounds like fun Celeste, ooh near the ocean too.

~Randall



3/8/13, 8:57 PM  
Blogger loriann signori said...

You will shine I am sure. have fun!

3/12/13, 7:11 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thanks so much Celeste! You are a shining star in my eyes!
Thanks Randall, hoping you will come out too! Hi Loriann! So good to hear from you.

3/12/13, 7:36 PM  
Blogger Chris Lally said...

I feel like I know a celebrity, too. You are in for much more than 15 minutes of fame! Your work is just stunning.

3/14/13, 5:39 AM  
Blogger juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

I agree self doubt is what makes us strive to improve.
I have the poem and love it too.

Thanks for commenting on my blog and I am so glad I popped over to take a look at yours. Great stuff indeed! I can see why you are successful. I particularly love NW 23rd at Johnson. To be asked to paint with the liked of those you mentioned is really hitting the big time.
Good for YOU!

3/18/13, 10:07 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Golly gee willikers! Thanks chris and Julie for tour encouraging comments. Thanks!

3/18/13, 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home