4/3/09

Interview, new work, & Spring observations...


"Koi" 6x6" Pastel on sanded paper SOLD

For the truely curious, The Portland Plein-Aire & Studio Painters recently posted a 10 question interview about me on their blog. My friend and interviewer, Celeste Bergin, is always working on promoting art and artists through shows, posts and paint-outs. Thanks Celeste!

This new piece, "Koi" is from the same photo reference of a painting that I posted a couple of months ago. It's just another interpretation of a subject I dearly love to paint--water and koi fish. I used a red underpainting and just worked away at emphasizing the colors. I'm really liking this one in particular because it is so much more loose in stroke. Enjoy!

Observation: As the days are getting longer, that means more time outdoors! Yeah! On any dry morning, like today, I walked my son to school. This is a cherished time for me because it gives us time together to just talk. He carries most of the discussions, picking topics about Poke'mon and recess time. My precious Cody. On my way back home, I noticed that the blossoms on the cherry trees are at their peak! I also noticed that they smell a little like fresh tortillas! Yummy!

3 Comments:

Blogger Miki Willa said...

This is so good. I am especially impressed by the way you put the fish under the water. So often, in paintings of koi, they appear to be on the surface. I like the colors and composition of this painting. The purple and orange are a great team.

4/4/09, 7:24 AM  
Blogger Janelle Goodwin said...

This is my first time visiting your blog and I'm very impressed with your beautiful work!

4/6/09, 3:07 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Hi Miki,
Yes, I know what you mean about submerging the koi. My first attempts at painting koi had the viewer confused. I still have those pieces to remind me what not to do! Thanks for you comments on this little one!

Janelle, I'm glad you stopped by and commented. It's always a joy to find a new friend on the net! Do stop by often!

4/6/09, 8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home