11/16/09

Evening Reflections, 6x6


"Evening Reflections" 6x6" Pastel on sanded paper

This little piece "was" once an unsuccessful painting. Well, at least in my eyes. With all the work I create, there are a number of failed pieces that accumulate in my studio. So with all the clearing out I've been doing lately as well as all the new work being produced, I have been rethinking what to do with the many failed pieces I have on hand. With this one, I just washed off the failed painting from the sanded paper and "reclaimed" it, or what some would call recycled. With reclaimed mounted pastel paper, there is usually a ghosting of an image from the prior piece still on the paper. This can create an interesting color play as it did on this one.

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna T said...

Nice save, Brenda! I have a similar pile of paintings that I call my "What have you got to lose" pile. I experiment and occasionally save a few. For some odd reason I do better plein air work on top of an old image!

11/17/09, 6:11 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thanks Donna,
Yeah, I think your "What have I got to lose" pile sounds better, like, it has more risk taking and experimentation implied than my "I'll do with that later pile." OOOOh!

11/17/09, 8:15 AM  
Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

Isn't is odd that a piece that was meant for the scrap heap can become a success? Oddly enough, that has happened to me several times. I wonder if it helps when we take a "come what may" approach? Well, in any case--this is very appealing. Warm.

11/17/09, 4:37 PM  
Blogger loriann signori said...

Beautiful recycling Brenda! Love the sky's vibration caused by colors in the same value different temperature and its refection in muted tones. exquisite!

11/18/09, 5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Brenda! How are you? Nice to visit your blog - sometimes I paint over old paintings by covering them with a thin, oily wash of black, and then wiping away until I see an image I like. I like the way you're reusing your pastel paintings. Hope to see you soon.

11/30/09, 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home