7/8/10

Bastille Day Bistro, 7x5"

"Bastille Day Bistro", 7x5" Pastel on sanded paper

I've been preparing for my most favorite event in Portland to plein air paint the crowds at the annual Bastille Day festivities in the Portland Pearl. By and by, I will be serenaded by French food and music, dazzled by ballet dancing, tempted by vendors, and seduced by the language...all without the jet lag, passport and expense! I simply can't wait!

I have to admit I am not much of a figure painter, and I highly respect those artists who practice the subject, but I think for once I was able to at least get the gist of these figures. Possibly the biggest test for me will be at the Bastille Day event...Lord knows there will be plenty of figures to paint!

This little piece was cropped from last years 'visite' and will be matted and packaged for sale at the event. I hesitate to sell it, all because it reminds me of the fun I had painting there last year, but I have way too much art on my walls to call it mine. C'est la vie.

Bastille Day info posted on the right.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

Maybe I will swing by to find you--I am painting in the Utrecht event. I enjoy your festive "cafe people".

7/10/10, 7:27 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Hey Celeste, we'll be just north of the Utrecht event, so come on by afterwards and have a crepe! :)

7/10/10, 8:43 AM  
Blogger Casey Klahn said...

Very good cafe/table image! I really love the colors - I see the tricolor.

BTW, the creek image in the last post is terrific. The texture you get is amazing! Is that on Wallis?

7/11/10, 9:30 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Hi Casey
Thanks for asking!
It's on mounted Wallis paper with a bright yellow underpainting. You can see some of it peeking through in the sky area.
I love using a bright underpainting because it helps put some "sparkle" in my palette, which typically runs cool.

7/11/10, 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home