7/30/10

Stretching my nerves, 3x3x4


In the studio tonight and I'm straightening and cleaning up my messy spot from the past 6 months. It's my way of calming down, preparing for my long awaited workshop. I came upon 4 small cut up pieces that I nearly discarded from a painting that I once cropped.

The weak colors were interesting and tugged at me. "Color, I need more color...and shape...and...and more contrast." They were calling to me. I picked up a pastel and well, began to try a few strokes on these nearly discarded pieces.

Abstract work has always attracted me because of color or composition as in Casey Klahns' incredible work, but never did I think to try it. So away I went, playing with colors...just experimenting to help me to relax.


All the while wondering what Casey would have done, and asking myself, "why don't I clean my studio more often?"

4 Comments:

Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

Holy Cow--are these great! My fav is #1. I am with you...abstract has always intrigued me and I know I would love to own some! Love these colors.

7/31/10, 9:46 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thanks Celeste!
I too, like the first one...not sure why. I tried rotating them around to see which way would look best...didn't really matter after all.
I don't know why, but sometimes abstracts can move me to tears just from the color application alone!

7/31/10, 9:00 PM  
Blogger Casey Klahn said...

What would I do? First, I wouldn't clean my studio. But, that's just me.

These certainly are eye poppers to me. They make me wonder what the painting that they tailed looks like - the colors are so intriguing.

Good balance, too.

I'll be following your workshop with Handell - I have a couple of his books, new and old, and I really admire his work. You chose a master to learn from.

8/3/10, 7:56 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Hey Casey!
Thanks for the kudos on these! Actually, the piece came from my 6/28/10 posting which is a wetlands scene...the lower 1/4 was lopped off it needed a better overall composition.
I'm having so much fun at the Handell workshop, and mostly because it is such a joy to plien air paint all day long, and late afternoon long too.

8/3/10, 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home