2/10/11

Memory Painting, 16x12

Memory Painting, 16x12" Pastel on sanded paper

My favorite blogger, Loriann Signori, has been posting what she has been learning from the writings of the tonalist painter John Carlson and painting daily work on her studies from memory. Loriann is creating some really beautiful work and is inspiring to see her work unfold as she deals with the process. The other day she challenged her fellow readers to create a piece from memory (with a few guidelines in place so we don't cheat) and so I thought to try it too. I was surprised at what I came up with. As I was painting it I worked and re-worked the part that I remembered the most vividly; the bright sunlit edges of the cloud cover. I'm pretty happy with this experiment and may have to try this again. Today, I was working out at the gym and the west facing window has a row of trees that I memorized while I'm on the treadmill. I think I have looked at these trees a million times, but they looked different today. Hoping to put pastel to paper with this memory.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

Really beautiful...I like the idea of working from memory. This painting has a marked dreamy quality.

2/12/11, 10:59 AM  
Blogger Kim Vanlandingham said...

Wonderful painting! I checked out her blog and this is a cool idea!

2/12/11, 4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely memory painting... it must be like remembering a poem to paint from memory and even deeper.

2/14/11, 1:38 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thanks all of you for your comments!

Celeste, this process took me back to my youth when all I did was paint from what came out of my mind. I think this kind of painting is very freeing.

Kimberly, Thanks, and yes Loriann shares her most reveling thoughts on painting...I find it refreshing.

Jala, Glad you like it!

rahina, What a nice way to put it. :)

2/14/11, 9:44 AM  
Blogger loriann signori said...

This is beautiful Brenda. You know I think so. You are such a talented painter...when you allow your memory to take over I believe more and more of your soul permeates the painting. Let it flow, my friend. Thank you so much for the mention.

2/14/11, 4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home