9/18/12

HIllsboro Plein Air 2012 event recap

"The Venetian", 12x16" Oil

This past weekend I worked along with 40 or so artists in Hillsboro's non-juried plein air event. It was a much more relaxed event than the juried ones I've been in this past season, and so it's safe to say that we kept a more leisurely pace. Hosted by the Glenn and Viola Walters Cultural Arts Center, we had specific locations to paint. My first out of the gate was "The Venetian" (above) early in the morning. Then at noon, lunch was provided by Gamblin Oils with a demo on mediums, and then we went back out to paint some more. 

'Big Open Sky" 10x8" Oil

This one was painted at Jackson Bottom Wildlife Reserve in the baking hot sun with artists Anton Pavlenko, Yer Za Vue, and Thomas J. Kitts.  We stopped around 5:30 in the afternoon and then headed out to dinner.  With a little gas left in my bones, I headed back out to paint a nocturne with Za Vue and Quin Sweetman in the downtown area.  This is a street scene of part shoe store and part Thai restaurant. Again, as in my previous post, I worked this nocturne with no direct light working entirely by values. I am finding this to be an exciting way to work, with no regard to color...although, I do know where my paints are laid on my palette. Pulled it off the easel and walked it over to the light and BAM! Knock out intensities again! I called it good by 10:45 pm, then I hit my pillow by 11:30, wiped out from a long day in the sun.

 "Shoes 'N Thai'd" 10x8" Oil

Then the next morning the event conducted a 2-hour timed quick draw at the Walter's Center with Tableau Vivants dressed in Victorian period dress. I started one piece and half way through the session I became frustrated with my composition so I wiped it down and started again. This piece, "Victoria" was my one hour challenge, although I could add a few more marks to resolve it.

"Victoria" 8x6", Oil

The Hillsboro Plein Air was a well run event with helpful volunteers and support from the community. What I loved is that they made the artists feel special by providing us with goodies at check-in, canopies to protect us from the hot sun, a lunch provided by Gamblin, and awards.  All these things take organization and time to prepare.  So thank you Hillsboro Plein Air!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Diana Moses Botkin said...

Nice work, Brenda! This sounds like a fun paint out with lots of camaraderie.

9/19/12, 11:04 AM  
Blogger Robin Weiss said...

Great paintings Brenda! You got the most out of that event! I like your nocturne!

9/24/12, 7:20 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Hi Diana, Yes this event does have it's locals who pretty much know each other adding to the fun.

Hi Robin, again taking advantage with my available time to paint as much as I can. Pooped out by the end of the nocturne, which was my favorite of the bunch!

9/24/12, 9:45 PM  
Blogger Kim Vanlandingham said...

Great paintings! Glad it went well!

9/28/12, 8:06 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thanks Kimberly!

9/28/12, 8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home