8/6/12

Oregon Invitational 2012 recap

The Portland Art Museum's Oregon Invitational was so much fun, but a HOT weekend no doubt! 35+ artists painted in 90 degree weather, but the heat didn't matter because of all the artist fellowship. I arrived early to scout out spots to paint and found this parking lot with wonderful color and compositional patterns.  I quickly laid in the darks and lights first so I wouldn't have to chase them as the shadows really moooove fast.  This shot is taken with side-lighting to show the texture of the painting.
"Pay Here" 8x10" Oil ©Brenda Boylan

Even better in a frame!

My second piece of the day, looking north on SW Park. By this time, the crowd was thickening and conversations were plenty.  Many were very curious why there were so many artists painting in the park and so it gave all of us a reason to discuss the Portland Art Museum's current show of the California Impressionists.  Thanks to all the many friends who stopped by to visit with me and to see work being created alla prima. Interestingly, while I was painting this one,  I was being interviewed by OPB for the event and had noticed that I was able to talk and paint without missing a beat. A huge feat for most no doubt. My secret? Juggling. For the past month I have been working with my son in a therapy program for those who struggle with ADHD that was designed to strengthen the left-right brain connection.  We practice "juggling while talking and walking" with two bean bags by counting out numbers and alphabet forward and backwards.  Believe me, it is very difficult. I train with him daily and I think it's rubbing off.
"SW Park" 10x8" Oil ©Brenda Boylan

My final piece of the day and by now it's baking hot. Notice how lose this one is compared to the other two?  Perhaps I should paint tired more often, eh?
"Parked" 6x6  Oil ©Brenda Boylan

Then the next morning, I got all my pieces framed and bundled them up and went back out and painted some more. Before I set up, I ran into fellow artists Mike Rangner and Eric Jacobsen, who are known to share a chuckle.
Some "baffoonery" with friends Mike Rangner and Eric Jacobsen

Goofing off with the guys, I was dared to pose with a stinker stogie. HA!

My little study for a last minute entry.  I think I put about an hour in this one and perhaps it could use some more work, but it was a fun one to paint. I was able to frame it just in time to hang in the show.
"Alla Prima Roses" 8x6" Oil ©Brenda Boylan

Hanging in the baking sun with artists Anton Pavlenko and Micheal Orwick.


The Portland Art Museum's courtyard of plein air.

After all was said and done, I think it was a very successful event and show. Many onlookers commented that they have never seen anything like it before and truely enjoyed seeing the art in the making. I think there is a true hunger here in Portland to see this type of event and do hope that the PAM considers the event annually.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

Such fun photos, Brenda! Your paintings rock! Congratulations...and I agree, the event was amazing!!

8/7/12, 10:30 AM  
Blogger Sergio Lopez said...

Wow so neat to see you using oils! What brought upon the change in medium? I sometimes want to try water media at a paintout but I always chicken out. That is really cool to know that juggling helps strengthen that link in coordination. I could use something like that. I can't seem to talk and do anything else! I really like those frames, too. Haha @ the pose with the cigar, I can hear your laugh from here. I quite like those roses actually. So glad to hear there are actually people looking for representational art up there. If we could convince them to buy it, hey, even better. Hope that it went well despite the heat. Can't wait to see you all in Hood River very soon!

8/7/12, 10:19 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thanks Celeste,
I do hope you are able to post your photos of all your pieces from the event. Your recap was awesome too so I'm going to share it here: http://celestebergin.blogspot.com/2012/08/monday.html

Hey Sergio,
Yes I was laughing a lot as I always do. The cigar was gross, but I just had to take on the dare. :)
So yeah, I've been playing around with "the dark side" for about 7 months now and thought I'd give oils a try in this event. My pastels are getting quite lonely.
Hopefully the event in Hood River will bring us many sales so we can continue to afford painting...
See you soon!
B

8/8/12, 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home