2/5/10

The start of a new piece for the Chronicle


A couple of weeks ago, I posted a few photo's of the Lake Oswego area for the Chronicle Show. I finally decided on "Shoreline Shade". Here is my selected subject I wanted to paint from that best represents the area, or at least my interpretation of the area.



Since this is a very cool toned subject, I used a very warm underpainting to help warm it up and bring it some brilliance. Some may say it's too garish, but I love a lot of brilliance under a cooler piece. So, this is it for now.

On another note, I haven't been on the easel as much as I'd like to because of the transition of Amato Gallery. It's been very exciting to be working with some incredible artists who have the vision and energy to make it sail. Next weekend we will have our Gala and I can't wait to see how that all pans out. Then, and maybe then, I will be back on the easel on a regular basis. Let's hope.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

fascinating! Looking forward to seeing the finished piece
best wishes r.

2/5/10, 11:11 PM  
Blogger loriann signori said...

absolutely beautiful colors! I love the way you work on that brilliant orange and still create all those lovely subtleties. I'll be back to see this one complete.L
PS How do you think bright orange influences the way you put down the neutrals?

2/8/10, 4:09 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thanks Rahina and Loriann!
Loriann, good question! Actually I paint so intuitively, that I'm not even sure how it happens. It is yet to be figured out in mind just how the orange influences my neutralsbut it may be possible that the complimentary colors that I use (blues) help to create the neutrals on the bright orange. Regardless, it's a blast! Thanks for asking!
:)

2/8/10, 6:52 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

Hi, Brenda, I saw the finished painting on wetcanvas and decided I needed to stop by as I haven't had time for my nightly blogging addiction!

Your underpainting is stunning. I mean I'm sure the technicals parts are there but to my senses I love it as a painting in itself. Smacks one in the face! But of course the finished painting is well worth it. I was the one daughter my Dad really worked on making a tomboy. Lots of time at the lake EARLY in the morning and your finished painting captures so many of those magical early morning times when a lake and its creatures awake.

2/10/10, 11:55 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thanks so much TJ! Yes, that underpainting of vivid orange does smack one in the face! The computer monitor doesn't do it any justice! Love reading about your early morning treks to the lake. Sounds like those are some good memories for you. After all that, did your Dad get a tomboy?

2/11/10, 8:21 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

Yep, my Dad did get a tomboy, but one who LOVEs horses. I am happiest when I am outside (I work in an office, UGH)but I have a farm and lots of woods to walk in. Now that Dad is gone, I haven't had an opportunity to go fishing for about ten years and I miss the water so much.

Your painting brings me happiness tinged with a little melancholy. But it is beautiful.

2/12/10, 10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home