12/18/09

"Turnip Teeth" Artist Statement and Juror news

This entire week I have been pulling teeth from a turnip! Well, that's what it felt like when I was revising my Artist's Statement. Sure, I can paint and make pretty pictures. But when it comes to writing about my work, I fall flat on my face! So I Googled Artist Statement for some much needed hand holding and found Molly Gordon's site that was exceptionally helpful! Besides the help on writing Artist Statements, she also has a plethora of advice on other areas of marketing. I think this is a site that I will be referring to on a regular basis. After I had the meat of what I wanted to say in my Statement, I found the best advice in step 4, and that is to have a trusted friend or professional give feedback on clarity, tone and more. So I called up my painting buddy Gretha and she helped me grind out the rest. Thanks Gretha! So now I am done. So wanna see some Turnip Teeth? You can find it here.

On another note, I was asked by the City of Beaverton to help in the jurying of the city's public art installations. The city has had several citizen artists and business persons, who are interested in this endeavor, meet over the course of the past 2 years to find a "voice" for the city. The goal is to beautify the city by uniting it with a centralized area where people can gather, meet, rest, play, and just hang. The City of Beaverton will be accomplishing this by installing a monumental sculpture. Here are some examples of large scale public art that you may recognize from other US cities:



If you know of the location of any of these pieces, please comment.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

Congratulations, Brenda--they chose a good juror! I'll have to visit the artist statement website. But...mine is one paragraph long...and I don't want to change it! Also a bit burnt out on "marketing" blah blah

12/21/09, 3:55 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Hey, thanks Celeste!
One paragraph long? How did you do it? It must be the designer in you. :)

12/21/09, 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home