9/9/10

Fall Time Cloud Cover, 10x8


"
Fall Time Cloud Cover" 10x8" Pastel on sanded paper

The weather has been getting cooler and keeping me indoors. There are two ways to think of this: (1. Sulk and wish for warmer and dryer days or (2. I can get caught up on paperwork in the studio. The Pacific Northwest is known for it's cloud covered skies and rain. I still believe it keeps many from moving here, but not entirely due to it's varied beauty. This piece was painted in my favorite area in the Portland region, Sauvie Island. After returning from a great time in Hood River, I have been itching to get back out again to paint. Wet weather stops all pastelists from the rain and so today was the first I had available to go out...with cloud cover? So what! That's Oregon for ya.

And now for something a bit sobering...

Coming home from today's painting, I picked up my daughter from school. As she was settling into the car, I hear loud screaming. Not thinking much of it, with kids being kids, I soon realized the screaming was not stopping. Under the front fender of a loaded school bus was the 13 year old girl. She was pinned by her bike and somehow her lower leg was fractured. Not so sure if the bus ran her over or the bike crushed her leg. I'm still a bit shaken from it all. She was wisked off to the hospital and thankfully...thankfully is going to be ok.

My mother always used to say that flesh and metal don't mix.



3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love how that sky is reflected in the water. Oh my gosh. I read your post on FaceBook about the girl and her bike trapped under the bus. I'm so thankful she could scream and wasn't killed

9/10/10, 12:00 AM  
Blogger Donna T said...

What a terrifying thing to witness, Brenda. It's good to hear that girl will survive. I think your cloudy skies are good opportunities to paint moody pieces. I like this one a lot!

9/10/10, 5:15 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Hi Carey,
The water was really bright out there. I plan to return to it again today, with a better forecast thankyouverymuch!

Donna, Yeah, I continue to feel lumps in my stomach when my thoughts return to the accident. Thanks for the compliment on this one. Starting out, I was thinking it was going to be too grey of a painting, but completed it with some warms too.

9/10/10, 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home