7/17/11

Market Pause, 9x6

"Market Pause" 9x6" Pastel on sanded paper

This summer has been a whirlwind of activity for me, but today Portland had a summer rain that gave me much needed time to clear off my desk, reconcile a weary check book, and pick through some old photos. Quiet stuff in the studio. Rain in Portland in mid July is not all that unusual, but today it was a downpour. I kept asking myself "Whaz wit dat?"

This piece is just part of a larger one that I was never too pleased with, but after finding it in my 'pile' of old paintings, I figured there was something more to it when cropped. I love cropping a piece and finding more strength in the composition than before. This one is from the Beaverton Farmers Market from a few years back. A quick and gestural piece, not accurate, but still colorful and summerful. Enjoy.

Also on the newsfront, I was awarded first place with my "Bolts of Lavender" piece at the Yamhill Lavender Festival last week. A huge thank you to judge Eric Bowman for selecting my piece! It was a fun event speckled with a few more of those peculiar summer rainy days.


Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations! when i first saw the piece, it struck me... now it's official;)

7/18/11, 12:26 AM  
Blogger Donna T said...

Congratulations Brenda! That painting is SO deserving of an award! Nice crop on your people painting too!

7/18/11, 4:34 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thanks ladies! Always a nice thing to be recognized for one's work. :)

7/18/11, 10:24 AM  
Blogger Kim Vanlandingham said...

Congratulations and well deserved! Love that pullover you have on in the photo! (I love clothes too!)

7/21/11, 8:34 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

That's so funny Kimberly, I love this top and just had to have it when I saw it! Loads of compliments whenever I put it on! Too bad I don't own more in different colors for each day, kinda like the 'day of the week' undies as a little girl! :D

7/21/11, 3:21 PM  
Blogger hmuxo said...

Congratulations on Bolts of Lavender. You certainly deserved it.

7/29/11, 8:22 PM  
Anonymous Trish said...

beautiful painting... love your blog title 'dusty fingers' ... it's so true isn't it!!

8/17/11, 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home