8/1/22

 


Pulling weeds... 


"Queen's Patch"  12x12" oil on linen panel

and other unsung pleasures.

The heat of summer is upon us and thoughts of cooler days only tease us as we linger in the throes of August. In good time the weather will continue its path toward cooler days, and I ponder the scorching summer heat as one of life's weeds.  Not all of life's weeds are bad...and in some way, I question how earthly weeds have developed a fascinating ability to thrive. Oh, how wonderfully smart nature really is!

Consider the dandelion...  
A dandelion creates tasty broad leaves that you can add to your fresh garden salad. Its bright yellow flowers magically transform into perfectly sphere-shaped, fluffy wish-makers that have been designed to catch the wind and land on a willing patch of ground to blossom once again. Perhaps a sparrow chic may find its first tiny seed to eat from that fluffy wish-maker!  Ahhh, nature... how I love thee.

What about the prickly weeds of life?
I want to point out that these weeds can be viewed as "situations".  We need to view them as they really are. The heat of the summer has its purpose. And so does every action and reaction in life. The circle of life serves us all in terribly difficult times as well as miraculous moments. What a world we live in! My point is that every lousy thing that happens has an upside.  Missed your flight? As you wait it out at the airport bar, you engage with another passenger who shares brilliant ideas that provide answers to past challenges. At times, we have to really look hard to find it and most of the time it's right in front of us.

The beauty:
A sunrise ends with the sun setting.
The ocean has crashing waves that never cease, and beautiful sea life underneath.
A slow sigh of relief begins with a screaming breath of life.
Painting on-site on a blistering July day brings a sunburn and a wonderful work of art. The view before me was blocked by overgrown bushes, so I painted the weeds in front of me.  Why not?!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Little said...

Good morning Brenda, as I live in England I have discovered your blog only recently.
Apart from your outstanding work I have been drawn in by your wonderful text, please keep this blog running. A real inspiration.

Regards Peter

2/15/23, 12:08 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thank you so much Peter! I have been writing for a couple of years now as part of my monthly artist newsletter. I decided to share these stories to my blog as a diary on my inner observations. I sure hope you will share your thoughts and reactions with me too!
Brenda

2/15/23, 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home