1/10/11

Passage Point, 6x6 and Deadlines!

Passage Point, 6x6" Pastel on sanded paper. ©2011 Brenda Boylan

Working on the urban scenes for the upcoming "Cityscapes" show at Caswell Gallery has me really inspired to do more of this subject. After I finished this little guy, I scanned it into Photoshop and zoomed in to get an accurate crop. I found that the enlarged image, albeit messy and out of focus, has given me good reason to paint this larger (say...maybe 24x24"?) with all it's messy and wonderfully loose marks. So different than my tight artistic hand a few years ago.
Here it is cropped.

Passage Point, 'cropped'

If I move forward on this idea, I'll have to work fast because I have a few deadlines to make. That will make it all the more freeing and fun! Do you work better under pressure? I have always thrived on it because of my past days as a graphic designer and all those stiff deadlines. What do deadlines mean to you?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

I'm like you, Brenda, I like deadlines and assignments! I really do, I can't relate to the artists who don't like those things! lol--I love your zesty painting here...it has vitality!

1/10/11, 7:06 PM  
Blogger hmuxo said...

I have been looking at your paintings and very impressed with them all. I especially like "Understanding Blue". I'm looking forward to your future paintings.

1/11/11, 12:02 PM  
Blogger loriann signori said...

What a vibrant, beautiful sky Brenda! Your deadlines are really paying off. Interesting idea- your work with photoshop.
As for deadlines, I don't think I prosper under them. I work better as the energizer bunny...just keep on going. I do know many people who thrive on deadlines. I think it simply is a matter of different personalities. What do you think?

1/11/11, 12:48 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Celeste, don't you think that we like deadlines and due dates more due to the industry we both were in? I think it has a huge hand in it for sure. It gives me a date to stick to and so I love the challenge in it.

hmuxo, Thanks for visiting. It's always a thrill to be able to reach people from a far. Oh, the beauty of the internet!

Loriann, Well, it's definitely not a tonal piece, is it? And how I love what you've been creating too..those wonderful tonalist skies! Could we be influencing each other into opposite directions? HA!
Yeah, I do think it has to do with personality types. I think my designing days taught me much of it, but have found over the years that I really do thrive on them. As I have been painting for some seventeen years now, I have found that that is the way I work best. And I think your 'Energizer Bunny" is admirable...you keep on plugging away!

1/11/11, 2:43 PM  
Blogger Kim Vanlandingham said...

Nice work with the lights! Your work is awesome!

1/11/11, 4:42 PM  
Blogger Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

You've done a great job with the urban scenes, Brenda! I hope that you have great success with the show! Kvan

1/11/11, 10:01 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thanks Kimberly!
It's always a nice treat to get such nice compliments!

Kvan, I'm having fun with these urban settings. Not normally my subject, but have been really influenced by a few other painters out there to just 'try' it, like Jennifer McChristian & William Wray...ooooh they are goood!

1/18/11, 12:24 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thanks Kimberly!
It's always a nice treat to get such nice compliments!

Kvan, I'm having fun with these urban settings. Not normally my subject, but have been really influenced by a few other painters out there to just 'try' it, like Jennifer McChristian & William Wray...ooooh they are goood!

1/18/11, 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home