6/25/13

When the tide changes, Best of Show news

"West on Canyon" 20x16", Pastel

While I was painting out in a horse pasture trying to resolve a failing piece, (well, I was more like struggling and in a "painting funk") during the start of the LGPA, my dear husband called to tell me that my piece "West on Canyon" won Best of Show at the Lake Oswego Festival of the Arts Chronicle Exhibit. Woah! He also shared with me that the city purchased it and will now be part of the city's permanent collection. Wow! What a pick me up!  I welled up with relief and nearly sobbed with Joe as I was having a real reckless start to this painting competition. Being that I was down in California, Joe graciously accepted the award on my behalf at last Friday night's award ceremony. To bring humor to the call I asked Joe if he would wear a blonde wig so he could stand in for me, but my reserved husband refused. Well, if this big news didn't lift my spirits, then what would? From that point on my painting miraculously switched to more confident work and it was much easier to concentrate in this competition setting...and because of the switch in my work, it also became quite evident to me that the emotions of an artist are conveyed into art and cannot be separated.  So thankful for the good news, but why do we have such roller coaster ways?  Ugh!

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Arty Quin said...

Congratulations! It is a lovely painting and story!

6/26/13, 5:44 PM  
Blogger loriann signori said...

Wow what great news! A big congrats to you Brenda!

6/27/13, 1:55 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Thanks Quin and Loriann.
The good news was a wonderful relief after such a rough start. More and more, I see the emotions that go along with life's journey affecting my work in different ways. This was one of evident moments.
Thanks again for the comments.
B

6/27/13, 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home