9/21/10

NPS 2010 Paint-out

Mosier Aspens, 12x9" Pastel on sanded paper

An encore visit back to the Hood River area proves to be awe inspiring again! This time around it was wtih the Northwest Pastel Society for a 5 day paint-out, however I only attended 2 of the days. The weather at best kept many members away, but for those of us who came out we had beautiful color and a great time. I headed out in the afternoon to the next place on the itinerary; The Mosier Barn. Unfortunately, I also brought along some sprinkles from Portland. We still were able to paint, but it did help to have an umbrella... you know the kind that's supposed to keep you shaded from the sun? Yup, instead of sun it was rain! Pastels, even if they are protected from the rain, still get a bit soggy because of the humidity. It still didn't dampen my outing with the group.

Davis Farmhouse, 10x8" Pastel on sanded paper

We did have a great time just being out. I think I wrote once before that the scenery is really intoxicating....not to mention the opportunity to share a glass of wine with my fellow artists. On Sunday we went out to a location that had an incredible straight on view of the gorge, just like we were looking down it's throat!

Weather Permitting, 12x12" Pastel on sanded paper

By this time we were used to the fickle weather. At the strike of rain we all huddled under the eaves and opened up a bottle of wine and just solved all the worlds problems. One artist was clever and made a "bar" out of her Heilman box and tripod! Wine and cheese anyone?

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth Seaver said...

Your pastel paintings are really unique in my experience of pastels. I love the variety of color and texture that you manage (especially in the rain!) I love the warm colors and composition in Mosier Aspens the best!

9/21/10, 5:34 PM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks for dropping by! I wish you could see that painting in real life. There is some violet swiped over the trees and it gives it some interesting color combo's. Not sure if it reads that way on your monitor, but is sure doesn't on mine!

9/21/10, 8:54 PM  
Blogger Donna T said...

Such beautiful work! I love the composition of the farmhouse and the atmosphere you depicted in each painting. Do you tone your paper on site or bring a variety of pre-toned papers with you? (Please forgive me if I've asked this before!)

9/22/10, 5:20 AM  
Blogger Carolyn Jean Thompson said...

These are beautiful. I love your work and your upbeat attitude that isn't dampened by rain! I like the additional use for the pastel box! Maybe I'll bring a tablecloth!

9/22/10, 6:34 AM  
Blogger Oli said...

Hi Brenda,
I too like your paintings very much. Especially the Weather permitting painting is absolutely marvellous. Your paintings are a great inspiration to me.

9/22/10, 7:31 AM  
Blogger Casey Klahn said...

You really blossom at these events - I admire that. These paintings are very nice, Brenda!

Wish I could make one of these paint outs some time. Maybe I'll have to try the next Leavenworth one or something.

9/22/10, 8:16 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Donna, Thanks for your comment! I tone my paper right there on the spot. It gives me the time to get my feelings in place when I put the first overall hint down. I use a light cover of pastel and washed over with alcohol.

Carolyn, Bring it on! But don't forget a fold up seat! We really had a blast out there even tho the weather was not perfect, because any day painting is better than a day in the office! :)

Oli, I'm glad you like Weather Permitting. I'm wasn't so sure on posting it, because of the composition, but I'm glad that you gave me some feedback on it. The view was worth a million dollars in real life!

Casey, Thanks and I do feel like my work, little by little, it is getting looser and more colorful as I get more confident out there. But alas, as I head towards my studio work for the winter, I'll have to reacquaint myself with the process all together again! Hope that you can make it out to one of these events next year and we too can take a pic with us together and post to our blogs! HA!

9/22/10, 11:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Brenda, Love the work but mostly I think this is a great use for a Julien.

10/6/10, 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home