10/28/09

Sometimes Quiet, 6x9


"Sometimes Quiet" 6x9" Pastel on sanded paper

Gosh, I'm finally sitting down to post this piece! I've been out and about running so many errands for my family; kids need costumes sewn, picking up family at the airport, flute lessons, soccer practice and teaching Art Lit...etc. When is there time to paint? Well, last week I did get out to Sauvie's Island again with my painting buddy Gretha. It was really quite beautiful out there, with the mist and cool colors. Finished this one quickly, a 20 min session, after working on a prior one that wasn't so successful. ouch!

I have been revisiting the idea and am getting itchy to paint more of the farm series again. I was down at the farm this past weekend and the autumn makes me feel so sad when I see the trees dropping all their leaves. It's quite barren and there is definitely a lack of color all around. There were some wild turkeys nibbling bugs in the fields... a very Thanksgiving feeling!

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Celeste Bergin said...

less is more--this is a beauty..in it's simplicity. A visual Haiku.

10/28/09, 10:48 PM  
Blogger susan hong-sammons said...

Fantastic art! I'm a first time visitor and scrolled through your entire blog because I just loved looking at your pastels. You pack a huge punch in this small scale!

10/29/09, 4:24 AM  
Blogger Donna T said...

Celeste said it so well. I love seeing the texture in your skies, Brenda, and you inspire me to not keep going for a super-smooth look. Maybe that would be the thing to do for a larger studio version but for a plein air, I like your simpler approach.

10/29/09, 5:11 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Visual Haiku...I like the way that sounds! Ha! Thanks Celeste, and back at cha! :)

Susan, Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to hear of newcomers and wonder at the internet and how it brings artists together.

Donna, you are so awesome! I say that because you continue to compliment me by your return visits! Yeah, simpler is better, and faster! As I painted this one, I was late picking up my kids from school that day because I didn't want to stop...lost in the moment I guess! I'm gonna try this simpler approach as I restart my series again. It keeps it fresh.

10/29/09, 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home