12/24/07

Color Study #7 6x6"


Color Study # 7

This next color study is a Triadic color scheme that is based on three colors that are evenly spaced on the color wheel. I chose orange, purple and green simply because I love purple! The source photo is again from Wetcanvas' reference library from contributer "lisilk". I began with a complimentary underpainting of Createx pigment paint, and then applied the much confusing color story. It looks like a mess in the beginning stages, but soon evolves! I used a broken color application, letting the underpainting show through a bit, although I did lay it on a bit thick on the orange! I has a lot of texture only because I love this broken color method! I could smooth it out to make it more realistic, but I think that would ruin the bold color play.


The underpainting looks a bit crazy along with the sketch underneath. I mistakenly painted purple for the background underpainting when I should have used yellow! Ooops! Anyway, I put the purple pastel down first to hide my mistake.

Then I applied the darkest values and a few of the oranges. This is the "ugly" stage of the painting.

I continued to work on the orange. I began to add the greens to help bring it together along with using a lighter, brighter purple in the branches.

I continued to work on the greens, and on the orange peel.

Here is the finished image, again for comparison.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger kim denise said...

I've loved watching you go through the various color exercises...now I want to buy the book! I'm really excited by your use of broken color. thanks for a great blog!

12/27/07, 10:13 AM  
Blogger Novice Writer said...

wow!that is absolutely wonderful!wish i could paint like that:-( whenever i try to paint it ends up in some sort of a mess:-D

you, keep up the good work!

12/28/07, 10:04 AM  
Blogger pattrsnd said...

I love the loose look of this study Brenda...very nice!

1/17/08, 9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! I wish I had some place to put it in my house. :-( I would go for this one. Actually, I think all of your work is beautiful.

2/3/08, 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home