1/17/08

Cafe' Seating 8.5" x 13"



Well, I've had to take a small break from my McMurry color studies simply because there are a few submission deadlines for shows I would like to enter. So here is a work that I have been wanting to paint simply because I love the reflections on the floor. It's the same interest I have in painting water, but it's a simple floor with colors coming from the unknown surroundings, possibly neon lights. This little scene was taken from a cafe' on NW 19th in Portland. Not sure of the cafe's name, but they do serve up some delicious soups and gourmet dishes. Here are the steps to the piece:


First the sketch on the Wallis sanded paper with charcoal pencil.


I used Createx airbrushing pigment to under-paint the intense orange and dark blue to give the piece unity. I picked the orange compliment to give the piece some excitement because this is going to be a predominately blue piece, and the dark blue simply because I needed a dark base.


Blocking in the darks and lights to establish value ranges.


Working on the floor and seating.


Adding the surrounding colors that attracted me to this scene in the first place..I can see it coming together now but still much to do.


Adding detail to the final piece like fixing the windows and door, adding the centerpiece, highlights on the barstools, etc. Finished!
Giclee' print available online at Imagekind.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger pattrsnd said...

Great WIP Brenda!

1/17/08, 9:41 PM  
Blogger Merethe Torbergsen said...

Brilliant painting! I enjoyed the WIP very much. A winner!

1/18/08, 2:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the underpainting on this one, and the finished piece is smashing!!

1/18/08, 3:00 PM  
Blogger Yoolees said...

You did a great job Brenda. Wow, it's so great :D Your great too.

Hye
A Blog of Thoughts and Opinions

1/18/08, 6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great WIP. What do you use for your underpainting? Is that pastel or some type of paint?

Rain

1/19/08, 7:25 AM  
Blogger Brenda Boylan said...

Hi!
For the underpainting, I use Createx transparent airbrush paint. I sometimes use it full strength to get those intense colors. Gotta love those underpainting's! Thanks for all the nice words on this one. I doing some extra fixes to it, pushing back the hat rack and adding a neon sign in the window (I missed one detail).

1/19/08, 9:32 AM  
Blogger Nader Shenouda said...

Great painting, really beautiful..displaying the steps is very interesting !!

1/22/08, 6:30 AM  
Blogger Rita Foster said...

wow! I must say that you are very talented with pastels, just love your colors. I hope you don't mind if I link you, I'll be watching for your future works.

2/1/08, 5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful piece ! I also paint with pastels sometimes and use underpaintings with complementary colours too. I love the vivid colours and the luminosity of your pastels !

2/4/08, 2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home